Skip to main content

Lai Mohammed "Criticise me fairly and objectively" - minister

Information minister, Lai Mohammed has urged his critics to be fair and objective when faulting him.

The Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed has called on his critics to be fiar and objective in their claims against him.

In an interview with Sun Newspaper, Mohammed said: “I challenge these people and I say fault me on facts, and not on emotions. Most of the things you see are purely emotional. Many of them believe that, because I played such a major role in the downfall of PDP, no matter what I do, they would criticize it.
“I want them to criticise me fairly. I want them to be objective; I’m ready to take them on. Take for instance, one of them went back and said on December 22nd 2009, I issued a statement that the minister of information should give daily bulletin on the health of Yar’Adua and I said you’re mixing things up," he said.
Continuing, he said: “I think anybody who occupies a public office should know that this sort of thing goes with the terrain. But probably what I was not prepared for was the viciousness, and the pure hatred, and the lack of objectivity and divisiveness that now accompany it.
“As a spokesperson for the opposition political party, I was always very factual, I was very objective, and I didn’t go personal. And I keep saying, that I challenge anybody to come out and say ‘this is one lie you told when you were spokesperson for the opposition’.
On President Muhammadu Buhari's health status and vacation, Mohammed said: “Number one, Mr. President is not ill; he is not in the hospital. So, there would be no need for me to give a bulletin. Two, Mr. President complied with the constitution when he was leaving. He wrote a letter to the national assembly that he was leaving on a vacation.
“But during his vacation, he would take the opportunity to do some medical check-ups and while he’s away, the Vice-President would be acting president. So, I do not see the situation as the same.

“So, to you my answer is very simple, it is that today, what we have is the politics of hatred, politics of grievances and politics of prejudice. And this would divide the polity.
“But I’m not afraid of being challenged; in fact I love being challenged because I won’t go out without my facts. But when you start to quote me out of context, out of share hatred for whatever reason, you go personal, and you are not objective, that doesn’t slow me down. But it makes one sad that this country can be reduced to this level, and that politics can be reduced to pure hatred, divisiveness, prejudice and grievances.”
The minister had been the subject of critics since he assumed office at the Ministry of Information, Arts and Culture.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are Rihanna and Travis Scott dating ?

Last wednesday, Rihanna attended a Travi$ Scott concert for a third night in a row heating up dating rumors… Are Rihanna and Travi$ Scott dating ? The couple has been hanging together on many occasions and now the fans want answers. Rihanna has publicly revealed that she is a fan of Travis’ music by sharing a really sweet picture of her coping his new album on Instagram.  If the BBHMM singer and the rapper didn’t make anything official (yet), it looks like they have already started flirting. Indeed, a spy who was in the same club as Riri and Travi$ spotted them on the dance floor : “They are definitely together. They were dancing very close and didn’t care who could see them”.

Aisha Buhari Calls For Probe Of State House Medical Centre

The wife of the President,  Mrs  Aisha Buhari, has called for a probe into how the budget for the State House Medical Centre is being utilised . The call comes barely one week after the management of the hospital said it would seek the commercialisation of the centre to boost its revenue. “I said I must be treated in Nigeria because there is a budget for an assigned clinic to take care of us. If the budget is N100 million, we need to know how the budget is spent. “Along the line, I insisted they call Aso Clinic to find out if the X-ray machine is working; they said it is not working. They didn’t know I am the one that was supposed to be in that hospital at that very time,” she added. Mrs Buhari, who addressed a gathering today (Monday) in Abuja, decried the “lack of facilities”, including syringes, at the hospital despite the huge budgetary allocation and ongoing construction there. “Few weeks ago I was sick as well, they advised me to take the first fligh...

Travel Warning U.S Department of State issues new directive to citizens in Nigeria

American citizens have been advised to avoid Adamawa, Bauchi, Borno, Gombe, Rivers, Plateau, Kano and Yobe among other states. The United States Department of State has issued a new directive warning its citizens of the security risks inherent in travelling to and within Nigeria. The warning dated  9th February 2017 , recommends that US citizens should avoid all but essential travel to  Adamawa , Bauchi ,  Borno ,  Gombe ,  Kano , and  Yobe , due to the unpredictable security situation in the North-East. This follows a security warning issued by the US embassy on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 , advising citizens and officials to show extra consideration for their personal safety and security as they travel within Nigeria. It was issued in response to the government’s plans to shut down the  Nnamdi Azikwe Airport  for repairs and the re-routing of air traffic from that airport to the Kaduna airport, as well as the international airports in...